Docknits Workshop Weekend!

This past weekend was the 2nd Annual Fall Docknits Retreat

Everything about this weekend is fabulous!  A wonderful knitting shop in a unique lakeside community, with a terrific staff who teach classes and hold workshops on all sorts of fibre topics...then add an enthusiastic group of knitters!

When I was asked if I could do a workshop for the 2014 Retreat, how could I resist? My family traditionally vacationed each fall in the Port Elgin/Southampton area because my Dad loved to fish there in the Saugeen River....so while I hadn't been here in years....it had a nigh nostalgia rating with me!

The subject of the workshop was "Colour Play in Stranded Knitting".

We were going to take inspiration from art work from the Southampton Art Gallery, or a photograph brought to class by the knitter, pick shades, and using the Kaffe Fassett "Magic Ball" method, play with colour while knitting a motif that I had designed especially for this weekend.

Yarn Dominance in Stranded Knitting was the technical aspect of the workshop. I demonstrated and everyone had to get their head around "background" vs "pattern" shades.  (I discussed this in my blog post "Following the Straight and Narrow in Stranded Knitting"! )

Well, I had great intentions of taking LOTS of photos!  But I have to say, enthusiasm is contagious.....put 20 like minded knitters in one room with LOADS of yarn, spectacular inspiration, good food and well, time just flies!  

So, photos are worth 1000 words....who actually said that? If you want to know....go to this wikipedia page.  Whoever you want to attribute it to, they were right....so here goes!


On the drive up, the fall colours were pretty amazing!
What a coincidence that the colour of this house caught my eye....
and look at the cute cup cake dessert!
Everyone picked their shades of yarn and cast on!
The results were spectacular!
The Saugeen Trillium Scarf!
I used +RowanYarns Felted Tweed for mine!

I'm just going to write this up as a pattern from my class notes!

I need to get this done right away....

Because THIS Wednesday is October 1 
and the Kaffe Fassett Mystery KAL Starts!


I'm knitting the Red Colourway!
Have you got your yarn yet?

No? Here's a link to the shopping list!

I am so excited about this KAL! It's Kaffe at his best - a simple design idea in combination with his spectacular colourways - 4 of them!  So, just a couple of days to finish up projects and clear your knitting spot for the Kaffe KAL!

Until Wednesday.....Happy Knitting!

Anne

#kaffekal #rowankaffekal #rowanyarns #knitting #docknits



I hope you'll take a moment to 
Join the Life LackaDaisiCal community,
by following in a reader of your choice,
or by e-mail,
or subscribe to be notified 
of new posts (or new comments)

Handy links are at the top right for you!

I do appreciate all of my followers!

Anne   :)


\          /\/\  
\\          .    .
             Daisy and Lackie like followers too!




Comments

  1. Beautiful autumn colours and scarf. How long did it take you to create the Saugeen Trillium Scarf? Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 weeks Sarah! ha ha ha...it was addictive!

      Delete
  2. It was a wonderful day Anne, thank you for the class, I really enjoyed my day....love stranded knitting :) Carole-Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole-Ann! You are a fabulous knitter - I can't wait to see your finished Sage tunic! It was great to spend the day introducing knitters to stranded colour knitting!

      Delete
  3. Where can we purchase the pattern for the scarf? I would love to have one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love !
    Was the scarf knit with color changing/degrade yarn or with a mixture of solid colors?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gefällt mir sehr , das Muster und die Farben

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale