To cast on, or NOT to cast on....that is ALWAYS the question!

In the early days of my knitting career, my reputation was...cast on, knit, knit a bit more, lose interest...pass it on to my Mom to finish.  My Mother, I am sure, despaired at how quickly my enthusiasm turned to empathy;  how a new project would catch my eye and the old project be relegated to a dark corner somewhere....

Then there were the years that I didn't knit at all...life somehow got in the way.


When the knitting gene resurfaced back in the late 80's, I vowed to become a monogamous knitter - to cast on, knit knit knit (exclusively) and finish that project! I learned new techniques (stranded knitting), attempted things that caused my poor Mother to gasp. (Gosh, the first time I cut my knitting, I took my Philosopher's sweater to my Mom's house. On her dining room table....we lay the tube of knitting, my Mother handed me the scissors.....and I cut! We both needed a reviving cup of tea.)


I know that my Mom was proud of the new knitterly me! I even knit her a sweater...in gorgeous cream mohair!


My knitting gene came from my Mother...and perhaps her Mother (I never knew my Grand-Mother but I presume that she knit back in the day). I hope my Mom knows how much enjoyment and pleasure I get out of my knitting...and it's all because she took the time to teach me, a "leftie" to knit.


The fact that I actually stick with it, finish things....yes, this is something I know my Mom would be proud of!


It took me years to recognize that staying true to a project, ONE project, is what gets ME finished results! 



Stick to the project Anne!

Now, I have regressed lately....ONLY because I needed a really simple project to take with me on knit nights at the pub! Yes, I've joined a Monday knit group that has recently moved from a cafe, to a pub! The food is great! I have to admit that not much knitting happens though....we are too busy eating and chatting....but hopefully we will settle in and get those needles clicking.


My first knit night project was my Benedict Scarf!





Inspired by the man himself!

You can read all about "My Benedict"
on my Ravelry Project page.
I managed to knit the Benedict scarf in tandem with my "Wave" cardigan. It would have been disastrous to try and knit two strands of navy Kidsilk Haze while socializing...so it was my stay at home project.

So, full disclosure!

Right now I am 60% complete on my "Hells Yells" project. 


The "Yell" design by Gemma Atkinson, from Rowan Magazine 58, knit in Colourspun, gorgeous shade Semer Water! 

The sleeves are both done to the underarm! The back is complete! The front has been cast on! This whole sweater is done in a twisted rib stitch! I feel the need for a simple project to play off of this twisted rib marathon!

I also need a new project for Monday nights!

It's raining here today....seriously raining, thundering! And it's hot! That means humidity! I cancelled my luncheon date because who wants to site in the quaint little cafe with no air conditioning in the middle of a thunder storm! 


So what is a knitter to do!


More details on this will be forthcoming, but right now, I need to cast on!


Happy Knitting,


Anne

(xx from Lackie and Daisy, at my feet)

Comments

  1. Oh, you've inspired me, Anne. I, too, start and stop my knitting then go back to it or sometimes ditch it all together. I have told myself it is this Fall I will focus more and stick to my knitting projects. My problem is if I run into a stitch that I'm not sure about I tend to get frustrated. You knit beautifully and I enjoy your blog. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! My other secret is....s w a t c h i n g....I am whispering, because sometimes the word scares people away! I'll expand on this next time ok

      Delete
  2. Love the sheepy picture in the background. . . . and the yarn, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Groovy being cast on, as per your recommendation!

      Delete
  3. If I had that gorgeous blue yarn hanging out at my house there's no way I could resist the temptation to cast on. :-)

    I love the story of doing your first steek at your mom's house. What a wonderful knitting memory to have of her. The Yell sweater is very nice, and I admire your ability to do a twisted rib stitch for the whole thing. I have a hard time finishing the cuff of a sock in twisted rib.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristie! Yes, in the latter years, knitting and Coronation Street were our main "escapes" from the day to day.....she didn't knit herself any more, but loved to see what I was doing :) Gosh yes, Twisted Rib is a bit of a challenge...but, I must say, I am loving the results!

      Delete
  4. Anne, your mom sounds like a wonderful lady. I can just imagine you two cutting into your stranded work! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mom was a fabulous knitter, but back in those days, she hadn't heard of steaks....the Philosopher's Wool Company introduced me to the whole seeking thing...and they were very casual about instruction....place your sleeve tube up to your body tube, measure down, cut. YIKES it was....I can't imagine how I was so brave :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale